The Blue Streaks Swim Team is a great opportunity for children of all ages to be part of a team, improve swimming skills, and make friends. This summer especially, our kids could all use a constructive outlet for their energy!
- No competitive swimming experience is necessary for any age level to join, however we do require that swimmers be able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards) by themselves to ensure the safety of all swimmers.
- Swim Team is a great team sport that provides both group (relay) and individual competition opportunities, and encourages teammate support.
- Swim Team offers a very inexpensive summer opportunity for kids to be involved in an activity every day that is engaging and will wear them out!
Meet Our Coaches
Head Coach: Grace Sadler
We are so excited and lucky to have Coach Grace be our Head Swim Coach this year! Grace was one of our Senior Assistant Swim Coach in 2022, and went above and beyond by handling our meet/champs entries and learning all of the complex RMAL rules that govern those entries. She has such an engaging and enthusiastic energy that our swimmers really connected with. Grace also has a passion for working individually with swimmers to get them past any obstacles they face in their development.
Grace was a year-round swimmer for NOVA from age 6 – 14. She then spent most of her free time during her senior year of high school teaching swim lessons and coaching swim team at Aquatots, where she became a supervising instructor. She is in her sophomore year of college at the University of Tennessee, studying Supply Chain Management.
Senior Assistant Coach: Erica Stanley
We are elated that Coach Erica will be joining our team as Senior Assistant Swim Coach. As a youth, Erica swam in summer league and year-round teams. She then swam on the team at Radford University. Erica coached summer and year-round teams during college, and then took a break when her three children were small. She has returned to her love of swimming by coaching at Woodmont for 2 years, and as a Swim Instructor at NOVA. Erica is also the James River High School swim coach. Erica’s passion for swim coaching shows in everything she does when interacting with swimmers and parents. She loves that swimming is a sport that anyone can participate in and excel at, and enjoys encouraging swimmers at all levels.
Erica is an ASCA Level II certified coach. This certification only adds to a strong passion for growth, community and sportsmanship in and out of the water.
Her three children, ages 11, 9 and 7, will join the Blue Streaks this summer. She looks forward to learning the Blue Streaks culture and the RMAL ropes from Grace this season!
Assistant Coach: Sebastian Florez
Coach Sebastian will be an excellent addition to our coaching team! Sebastian joins us with a lifetime of swimming knowledge. He swam at NOVA from age 3 ½ to 18, and was also a NOVA swim instructor in High School.
Sebastian is currently a freshman at Randolph Macon College, where he is studying Nursing, and is on their Swim Team!
Junior Assistant Coach: Arabelle Rafferty
Coach Arabelle is very excited to start her first year of coaching as a Blue Streak. She has been on our swim team since 2015, and joined the SwimRVA team in 2018. She also swims for James River High School, where she made it to Regionals this year!
Arabelle is in her freshman year at James River High School.
Volunteer Assistant Coach: Maddie Donovan
We are so fortunate to have Coach Maddie back as a volunteer coach again this year! As she did in 2022, Maddie will be at morning practices all summer, to help instruct the younger swimmers on technique and drills.
Maddie has been a Blue Streak swimmer since 2014, and joined the SwimRVA team in 2021. She is currently a freshman at James River High School in the Leadership Program, where she is also on the High School Swim Team.
Volunteer Assistant Coach: Helen Wilck
We are lucky to have Coach Helen join our team this year as a volunteer coach! Helen will be at morning practices on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, to help instruct the younger swimmers on technique and drills.
Helen has been a Blue Streak swimmer since 2011. She is currently in her junior year at James River High school, where she is on both the swim and volleyball teams.
Volunteer Assistant Coach: Finn Rafferty
We are happy to welcome Coach Finn as a volunteer coach! Finn will be at morning practices all summer (except during his tennis clinics!), to help with the younger swimmers.
Finn has been a Blue Streak swimmer since 2015, and joined the SwimRVA team in 2021. He is currently an 8th grader at Robious Middle School.
Meet Our Volunteer Leadership
Aquatics VP: Catherine Rafferty
Catherine has three swimmers ages 15 and 13, and 4. She has no personal experience swimming, but has grown to love swim team watching her children swim since 2015. Catherine works in tech at a bank, and is a Bon Air native.
Blue Streaks Aquatics Captains
These parent volunteers have been hard at work organizing activities that make our swim and dive teams stronger and better:
Swim Rep: Kristen Hicks
Kristen has a 15 year old son who swims at Bon Air. She grew up swimming in Chesterfield, and went on to swim in college. She has coached summer league teams in the past, and is excited to use her swimming knowledge to help the Blue Streaks. She works full time as a Physical Therapist.
Swim Parent Rep: Sarah Stanton
Bio and picture coming soon
Marketing and Fundraising: Jennifer Hall
Jennifer has 4 kids and is excited to be watching her oldest, 8, start her second year as a Blue Streak. Jennifer swam for many years on summer leagues as a kid and is thrilled to now be a part of the Blue Streak’s Captains team promoting summer swim and dive.
Spirit Wear: Courtney Kamer
Courtney grew up in West Virginia swimming for a local year round swim club, her neighborhood summer team, and her high school team. She has 3 kids ages 20, 10
Social: Lauren Powell
Lauren has one BACA swimmer who is a goldfish. She is a Bon Air native and swam for BACA from 1984-1996. She loves to throw a good party. Lauren works in higher education and is a doctoral student at VCU.
Blue Streaks Swim Team FAQ
New to Swim Team or just new to BACA? This FAQ document has a wealth of information to help orient families to our swim team.
Fees, Registration & Team Attire
2023 Swim Team Fees
BACA Member Rate
|15-18 year old Swimmer||$30.00|
Swim Team Only Member Rate
2023 Registration will run from 3/27 – 6/12. Registrations and payments are all completed online. We will have caps on the number of swimmers that we have in each age group, so sign up early to secure your spot!
Please see this page for our 2023 suit recommendations!
We’ll be holding a suit try-on event again this year at the BACA Clubhouse on 4/26 from 5:30-7:30 pm. Disco Sports will be there for kids to try on suits to ensure they get the right size. If you aren’t able to make it to this event, you can go to Disco Sports (near Regency mall) at any time to try on the suit and order it.
Check our our spirit wear section for more info on what our swimmers and parents can wear to show their team spirit!
Age on May 31, 2023:
- 6 & Under * (Bon Air calls them “Goldfish”)
- 7 & 8
- 9 & 10
- 11 & 12
- 13 & 14
- 15 & Up
* Bon Air requires that all Swim Team members be able to swim the length of the pool unassisted (doggie paddle is fine). This will ensure that practices can be run safely, and that our youngest swimmers are not frightened by the prospect of swim meets before they are ready. Any 4-6 year olds that are able to swim, but cannot make it across the pool unassisted should register for our Pre-Swim team group.
|Dates||Practice Days||Age Group||Practice Time|
|5/22 – 6/9 *||M, T, W, R, F||11 & Up||4:30-5:30 pm|
|9 & 10 + New to Swim Team Age 11 & Up||5:30-6:15 pm|
|7 & 8||6:15-6:45 pm|
|5/31 – 6/9 *||6 & Under||6:45-7:15 pm|
|6/12 – 7/11 **
7/12 – 7/17
Champs practice only
|M, T, W, R, F
|6 & Under||8:30-9:00 am
|7 & 8||9:00-9:45 am|
|9 & 10 + New to Swim Team Age 11 & Up||9:45-10:30 am|
|11 & Up||10:30-11:30 am|
|M, W, R
|Pre-Swim Team (Guppies)||5:00-5:30 pm|
|6 & Under||5:30-6:00 pm|
* 5/29 – No practice on Memorial Day, 6/6 – No practice due to first meet of season
** 7/4 – No practice for July 4th Holiday
*** Evening Practice only for those who cannot attend morning practice. We only have 18 spots available for evening practice, due to limited capacity of the pool and this being high traffic hours. These spots will be filled first come, first served. Please indicate your need for evening practice on your registration. 7/5 – No practice due to meet held on Wednesday night
Pre-Swim Team (Guppies)
Bon Air has a program for our youngest Blue Streaks that aren’t fully ready for Swim Team: Pre-Swim Team! We’ll call these swimmers our “Guppies”.
Every parent wants their child to have a safe and happy introduction to Swim Team. Unfortunately, introducing a child to Swim Team before they are strong enough swimmers can be scary for them at swim meets, and can present safety concerns during practice. Bon Air requires that all Swim Team members be able to swim the length of the pool unassisted (doggie paddle is fine). Any 4-6 year olds who are not able to swim the length of the pool unassisted, but are still able to swim, should join our Pre-Swim Team program!
- Do Guppies need to know how to swim?
- Yes! This is not a “learn to swim” program. These swimmers should be able to tread water, and safely keep their head above water. This program is for building their endurance and introducing them to basic freestyle, so that they will be ready for Swim Team next year.
- If your child does not know how to swim, we have private swim lessons available.
- How do I know if my 4-6 year old child should be a Guppie (Pre-Swim Team) or a Goldfish (Swim Team)?
- If you are not sure if your child can swim the length of the pool unassisted, now is a great time to sign them up for swimming lessons at nearby locations, such as AquaTots, YMCA, ACAC, MAC, SwimRVA, and NOVA.
- Additionally, our coaches will be conducting swim tests at the beginning of the season to ensure that the younger children are in the correct group.
- When do Guppies practice?
- Guppy morning practice is 8:30-9:00 pm, and evening practice is 5:00-5:30 pm (swimmers must stick with their assigned practices so that we can meet safety ratios)
- Guppy practices are held Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (mostly), from 6/12-7/11.
- Some adjustments have been made to the regular cadence to accommodate swim meets. The exact Guppy practice dates are:
- Monday 6/12, Wednesday 6/14, Thursday 6/15
- Monday 6/19, Wednesday 6/21, Thursday 6/22
- Monday 6/26, Wednesday 6/28, Thursday 6/29
- Monday 7/3, Thursday 7/6
- Tuesday 7/11
- As with regular swim team practice, any practices cancelled due to weather will not be rescheduled.
- Do Guppies swim in meets?
- No, Guppies do not swim in swim meets.
- Can Guppies graduate to Swim Team during this season?
- Yes, our coaches will be assessing the Guppies’ progress throughout their lessons, and will graduate individual Guppies to Swim Team if they are ready and if the parents are comfortable with that change.
- Will there be a limit to the number of spots in Pre-Swim Team?
- Yes, we will only be able to accommodate 8 Guppies this year.
- How much does Pre-Swim Team cost?
- The cost is the same as regular Swim Team.
- How do I register my child for Pre-Swim Team?
- Just register them in our Swim Team program, but be sure to select “Guppie” as the level for your swimmer.
The dates below are accurate…RMAL’s meets will start one week earlier than usual, due to Champs needing to be held 1 week earlier to be able to hold it at SwimRVA.
Warm-up Times for Swim Meets
Swimmers are expected to arrive for warm-ups at 4:45 pm for home meets and 5:00 pm for away meets unless otherwise instructed by the coaches.
RMAL Swim Championships
Swimmers who have a qualifying time, or are BACA’s top swimmers, are invited to swim the annual Richmond Metro Aquatic League (RMAL) championships. ALL swimmers should plan to attend Champs, as we often need swimmers to participate in relays!
- Location: Collegiate Aquatics Center (Swim RVA)
- Date: Tuesday, July 18, 2022
- Times (from 2022, 2023 may be different):
- 13 & under: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- 13 & older: 2:30 – 5:15 pm
Swim Team will cover the cost of entry for each swimmer in 2023! (Thanks to our wonderful sponsors!!!)
We have awesome Spirit Wear again this year!
T-shirts are a super soft 60/40 blend, with Adult Sizes Small through X-Large, and Kids Sizes Medium & Large.
- Adult T-shirts $15
- Kids T-Shirts $10
- Adult Women’s Tank Tops $15
- Coozies $5
- Latex Swim Caps $4
- Silicone Swim Caps $13
Courtney Kamer (our Spirit Wear Captain) will be selling these items at some of our spring swim practices.
Swim Team is Volunteer Powered!
Swim meets are run by the families of the two pools competing. Without volunteers, we can’t have the meet!
All families must complete 4 volunteer time slots across all of the season meets. This is per family, not per swimmer. Families who do not complete their volunteer slots for the season will pay a $25 fee per slot (this may be arranged in advance for families that know they will have unavoidable conflicts). We will be cross-checking that each family has met their volunteer commitment at the end of the season (and actually volunteered at each meet that they signed up for). Any families that did not meet their commitment will be charged the applicable fee, and will not be able to swim next year until this fee is paid.
Families will sign up via Signup Genius for their volunteer shifts.
Descriptions for each position can be found below (tap or scroll over each position to see the description).
BON AIR AQUATICS ARE PROUDLY SPONSORED BY:
8110 Midlothian Turnpike
Open from 8am until 8pm, 365 days a year, with no appointment necessary, to meet all your urgent and primary care needs.
Once Upon a Child
9770 Midlothian Turnpike
We buy & sell gently used kids’ stuff
Patrick Loth, Realtor
Keller Williams Midlothian
804-339-0060 (cell) | 804-858-9000 (office)
Bon Air native and swim enthusiast, ready to help with any real-estate needs!
The Strum Group
5706 Grove Ave.
Realtors That Truly Care
River City Insurance, LLC
Ashley Rolfe, Realtor || Alicia O’Brien, Senior Mortgage Consultant
(804) 248-0504 || (804) 855-4590
We take the “Blues” out of the home buying process!
Good Foods Grocery
3062 Stony Point Rd
Your neighborhood grocer, located in the Stony Point Shopping Center
Dances With Wool
1358 Sycamore Square
Knitting, Crochet, Spinning and Weaving
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
2000 Bremo Road, Suite 202
At Orthopedic Physical Therapy, Inc we strive to be a leader in the field of physical therapy by providing the highest quality of individual focused care. We address the person as a whole, so that we can help you reach your maximum functional ability, health, and happiness.