The Blue Streaks Swim Team is a great opportunity for children of all ages to be part of a team, improve swimming skills, and make friends. This summer especially, our kids could all use a constructive outlet for their energy!
- No swimming experience is necessary for any age level to join, however this year only we do require that swimmers be able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards) by themselves so that we can keep everyone at a safe distance.
- Parents new to Swim Team will be welcomed by a “buddy family” to help them learn the ropes.
- Swim Team is a great team sport that provides both group (relay) and individual competition opportunities, and encourages teammate support.
- Swim Team offers a very inexpensive summer opportunity for kids to be involved in an activity every day that is engaging and will wear them out!
Meet Our Coaches
Head Coach: Graham Boyle
Assistant Coach: Emma Fenstermacher
Hello! My name is Emma Fenstermacher and I am pleased to be returning to Bon Air as an assistant coach. I have coached for the past three years and love working with all of the kids. I also swam on the team since being a Goldfish and am now currently a student at Virginia Tech. I’m so excited for this season and know we will have a great summer! Go Blue Streaks!
Assistant Coach: Kaila Hewitt
My name is Kaila Hewitt and I am a year-round swimmer for NOVA and a senior at Trinity Episcopal School. I have been on the team for 9 years and I cannot wait to work with all of you this summer!
Assistant Coach: Owen DeFrancesca
Hello, my name is Owen DeFrancesca! I am a rising senior at Trinity Episcopal School and a former year-round swimmer at NOVA. I enjoy fishing, going to the beach, and hanging out with friends. Can’t wait for a great swim season!
Meet Our Volunteer Leadership
Blue Streaks Swim Team Captains
These parent volunteers have been hard at work organizing activities that make our swim team stronger and better:
- Swim Rep: Kristen Hicks
- Marketing and Fundraising: Catherine Rafferty
- Swim Registration: Heather Bumgarner
- Spirit Wear: Stacey Donovan and Efa Davis
- Social: Katie Burgess and Kristen Grayson
Blue Streaks Swim Team FAQ
New to Swim Team or just new to BACA? This FAQ document has a wealth of information to help orient families to our swim team.
Fees, Registration & Team Attire
2021 Swim Team Fees
|Swimmer Also on Dive Team||$165.00|
|15-18 year old Swimmer||$30.00|
Non- Member Rate
|Swimmer Also on Dive Team||$295.00|
Note: Discounts are available for families with 4 or more swimmers. Contact the Aquatics VP for more details.
Online registration is available for 2021. Registration closes June 16, 2021
The team swimsuit will remain the same as the 2021 season. All team swimsuits are blue with the “Bon Air” logo.
- Boys: Speedo Endurance Jammers
- Girls: Speedo Endurance or Jolyn
Order online from Swim & Tri.
|Age on May 31, 2021||Classification|
|6 & Under||Goldfish|
|7 & 8||Mites|
|9 & 10||Midgets|
|11 & 12||Juniors|
|13 & 14||Intermediates|
|15 & up||Seniors|
|Dates||Practice Days||Age Group||Practice Time|
|School Year||5/24 – 6/16*||M, T, W, R, F||Juniors, Intermediates & Seniors||4:30-5:15 pm|
|Mites, Midgets||5:15-6:00 pm|
|6/1 – 6/16*||Goldfish||6:00-6:20 pm|
|Summer||6/21 – 7/16**
7/19 – 7/20
Champs practice only
|M, T, W, R, F
|Mites, Midgets||9:00-10:00 am|
|Juniors, Intermediates & Seniors||10:00-11:00 am|
|M, W, R
|Mites, Midgets, Juniors, Intermediates & Seniors||5:30-6:30 pm|
* 5/31 – No practice on Memorial Day, 6/17 – No practice due to 1st Swim Meet, 6/18 – No practice for Juneteenth Holiday
** 7/2 – No practice for July 4th Holiday
*** Evening Practice only for those who cannot attend morning practice. We only have 6 spots available for each group, due to limited capacity of the pool and this being high traffic hours.
Parents will not be permitted on the pool deck during practice in the morning. There is adequate space outside of the fenced area. During evening practice, parents will have to be registered through Membersplash to swim in a lane in order to be permitted into the pool area (which will be the requirement for all members wishing to enter the pool area during Phase 2).
Directions for practice:
- Health waiver must be signed prior to starting the swim season-this will be available the first practice as well as emailed. Please do not send any swimmer if they answer yes to any of the health questions on a daily basis.
- Fever >100.4 or a sense of having a fever?
- New muscle aches, not attributed to activity?
- New cough?
- New shortness of breath?
- New chills?
- New sore throat?
- Within the last 14 days.. have you been exposed to COVID-19 case?
- Swimmers will enter through the bottom gate at designated time, place items on steps on tape, then proceed to an open tape spot behind lanes. There will be a max of 3 swimmers per lane. Swimmers will be asked to maintain distance at walls. Coaches will assist.
- Swimmers will be released 5 minutes prior to end of practice and exit through the top gate. Please be prompt to pick up your swimmer.
- BACA items used during practice will be sanitized between use.
Warm-up Times for Swim Meets
Swimmers are expected to arrive for warm-ups at 4:45 pm for home meets and 5:00 pm for away meets unless otherwise instructed by the coaches.
RMAL Swim Championships
Swimmers who have a qualifying time, or are BACA’s top swimmers, are invited to swim the annual Richmond Metro Aquatic League (RMAL) championships.
- Location: Collegiate Aquatics Center (Swim RVA)
- Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2021
- Times (from 2019, 2021 may be different):
- 10 & under: 9:00 am – TBD
- 11 & older: 2:30 pm – TBD
Cost: $10 per swimmer
We have new Spirit Wear this year!
T-shirts are a super soft 60/40 blend, with Adult Sizes Small through X-Large, and Kids Sizes Medium & Large.
- Adult T-shirts $15
- Kids T-Shirts $10
- Coozies $5
- Latex Swim Caps $4
- Silicone Swim Caps $10
Stacey and Efa (our Spirit Wear Captains) will be selling these items at some of our after-school swim practices.
Swim Team is Volunteer Powered!
Swim meets are run by the families of the two pools competing. Without volunteers, we can’t have the meet!
All families must complete 4 volunteer time slots across all of the season meets. This is per family, not per swimmer. Families who do not complete their volunteer slots for the season will pay a $100 fee (this may be arranged in advance for families that know they will have unavoidable conflicts).
Families will sign up via Signup Genius for their volunteer shifts. Links coming soon!
Descriptions for each position can be found below (tap or scroll over each position to see the description).