ISR Self Recue
Private Swim Lessons
Duration & Frequency
|10 minutes, 5x/week, 6 weeks||30 minutes, flexible frequency||30 minutes, 3x/week, 3 weeks|
|Water safety and self rescue||Depends on swimmer’s needs, but can be:
-learn to swim
-learn swim strokes
-improve strokes & turns
|Preparing for swim team by learning freestyle and building endurance to get across the pool unassisted|
We are excited to welcome Andrea Clarke, ISR Master Instructor, back to the Bon Air pool again this summer!
Benefits of ISR Teaching
Trained professionals teaching ISR (Infant Swimming Resource) have been through the most comprehensive training program working with 6 month olds-6 year olds. Student Instructors complete 20-30 hours of academic studies before they are allowed to be hands on with any student. Instructors also complete 20 hours minimum each week with daily academic work outside of the pool. This combined is 120 hours of academic work and 60-80 hours of in-water instruction. 7 weeks of in-water teaching, where we apply emotional and physical applications of our studies to get the best result possible from each student.
Drowning is the leading cause of death among children ages 0-4 years old which is a statistic that can be changed with proper instruction. Our mission as ISR Instructors is that “Not One More Child Drowns”. Our lessons are all 1:1 and allows the student to connect with the Instructor and feel safe. We teach 50 minutes of individual lessons per student each week. 5 days a week for 10 minutes per day. (this sounds short, but our 1:1 method works!)
- Children ages 6-12 months learn to roll onto their back from a face down position to gain access to air and maintain their breathing until they can be safely removed from harm.
- Children 13 months to 6 years old (typically) learn to swim a short distance for 4-5 seconds, roll onto their back to float/rest/breathe and flip back over to swim to safety.
- Lessons are daily, Monday thru Friday
- 10 minutes per day, per student, for a total of 50 minutes of 1:1 lessons per week, lasting between 4-6 weeks (depending on age and weather cancellations etc.)
- Lessons will be offered in the Medium Pool from 8:00-11:00 am
- The most consistent schedule provides the best results!
- $125/week for the first 3 weeks are paid upfront
- Any additional weeks can be added weekly
- Payments directly via Venmo to Andrea Clarke
Any child that is NOT potty trained is required to wear a reusable swim diaper. You can find them at target, walmart, amazon and other retailers. Iplay is a great brand, but their are tons around.
Email Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org to register! Her schedule fills up fast!
We provide swim lessons for children and adults! Lessons are tailored to the need of the swimmer:
- Basic swim instructions are provided for those new to the water.
- We can provide swim stroke instruction for those looking to add swimming as a great, low-impact workout.
- Or strokes and turns one-on-one coaching is great for those on swim team, or anyone looking to improve their form.
Lessons are from June 6, 2022, until September 2, 2022, based on instructor availability. All questions about lessons are handled by the instructors. Contact information is provided below.
Please contact the instructor of your choice by email or phone regarding private or semi-private lessons. Only approved instructors may use the BACA pools to offer swim and dive lessons for a fee.
Fees for Swim Lessons
All fees are paid directly to the instructor. All ages and abilities are encouraged to participate.
Private Lessons are composed of a half hour of instruction. The cost is $20/lesson or $80/4 lessons + 1 additional free lesson. A 10% discount on the cost of the lesson(s) is available to a current swim team member and an individual who joins the swim team following lesson(s). Non-members are required to pay a $5 additional fee for one lesson or a $10 additional fee for multiple lessons.
Semi-Private Lessons are composed of a half hour of instruction for multiple swimmers in one lesson. Non-member additional fees apply.
Approved Swimming Instructors
I am a US Master Swim Coach, comfortable with teaching kids as young as 4, through adults. I also work with triathletes on improving their technique for the swimming portion of their competition.
- 4 – Adult
- (804) 269-6672
In the past I have worked with kids from ages 2-17, so I can do any age. I can teach kids how to float, swim laps, and technique work for the older kids.
- Venmo: @kailahewitt
- (804) 551-1285
I have been providing lessons for two years. I work with beginning swimmers, ages 3-10, starting to learn basic technique for safe pool play and stamina. I am patient, caring and motivating as kids are building confidence in the water.
Scheduling & Signup:
- Click here to schedule lessons with Lilly
- Venmo: @Lilly-Overbey
- (804) 510-4123
Speaking from my own experiences, I have no problem with any particular age group. I have worked with swimmers ages 4-18, and had no problems with interaction/communication. I have always found that emulating supportive and enthusiastic coaching techniques when working with the swimmers works best for me, whether it’s working on a specific technique with a swimmer or just leading a practice.
- Venmo: @Brian-Kwon-9
- (804) 219-7989
I have been teaching lessons and perfecting team technique for two years. I am comfortable with ages 2-13! I have taught everything from basic water safety to specific technique workshops for more experienced swimmers. I can’t wait to meet you guys!
- Venmo: @gracevs17
- (804) 551-8536
We have an exiting new program in 2022 for our youngest Blue Streaks that aren’t fully ready for Swim Team: Pre-Swim Team! We’ll call these swimmers our “Guppies”.
Every parent wants their child to have a safe and happy introduction to Swim Team. Unfortunately, introducing a child to Swim Team before they are strong enough swimmers can be scary for them at swim meets, and can present safety concerns during practice. Bon Air requires that all Swim Team members be able to swim the length of the pool unassisted (doggie paddle is fine). Any 4-6 year olds who are not able to swim the length of the pool unassisted, but are still able to swim, should join our Pre-Swim Team program!
- Do Guppies need to know how to swim?
- Yes! This is not a “learn to swim” program. These swimmers should be able to tread water, and safely keep their head above water. This program is for building their endurance and introducing them to basic freestyle, so that they will be ready for Swim Team next year.
- If your child does not know how to swim, we have private swim lessons available.
- How do I know if my child should be a Guppie (Pre-Swim Team) or a Goldfish (Swim Team)?
- If you are not sure if your child can swim the length of the pool unassisted, now is a great time to sign them up for swimming lessons at nearby locations, such as AquaTots, YMCA, ACAC, MAC, SwimRVA, and NOVA.
- Additionally, our coaches will be conducting swim tests at the beginning of the season to ensure that the younger children are in the correct group.
- When do Guppies practice?
- Guppie practice is 5:00-5:30 pm, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 6/13-6/30 (3 weeks). Any practices that cannot be held due to weather will be shifted to the next corresponding evening practice day after 6/30.
- Do Guppies swim in meets?
- No, Guppies do not swim in swim meets.
- Can Guppies graduate to Swim Team during this season?
- Yes, our coaches will be assessing the Guppies’ progress throughout their lessons, and will graduate individual Guppies to Swim Team if they are ready and if the parents are comfortable with that change.
- Will there be a limit to the number of spots in Pre-Swim Team?
- Yes, we will only be able to accommodate 8 Guppies this year.
- How much does Pre-Swim Team cost?
- The cost is the same as regular Swim Team.
- How do I register my child for Pre-Swim Team?
- Just register them in our Swim Team program, but be sure to select “Guppie” as the level for your swimmer.